Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Zacharias

OK, so this isn't from this week's reading, but I was particularly touched by a passage in Luke 1 where Zacharias is prophesying about his son John and also about the Savior, whose purpose was:

77 To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,
78 Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,
79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

I had never noticed these verses before. They're so beautiful. I feel like this is exactly what the Savior has done in my life. He's given me knowledge and experience of salvation through the tender mercy of repentence. There have been many times in my life when I've felt His love and a testimony of the atonement like a dayspring in the darkness of my circumstances. And I've never felt so much peace as when I'm doing what I know He wants me to do. I guess it just shocks me a little when I read something that so concisely reflects my own experiences.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alyson said...

My husband taught this lesson last sunday and some of the points that came up were more about the people and how they delt with their circumstances. I don't know if that is how he intended the discussion to go but thats how it went.

Zacharias: He may have been struck dumb but he reamined extreamly faith ful. I don't know about you but I couldn't speak for about a year the first things out of my mouth probably wouldn't be praise God.

Mary & Joseph: Very serious and sober people. Thought rationally didn't react right away. Mary has one of the few special experiences for women that are documented in the bible.

All of these people may have had fear, or even grief in their circumstances but were prepared to take on the responsability.

I do like the pasage of Zacharias prophesying and can see why it toughed your heart.

1/19/2007 1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really awesome! I love it when I'm reading scriptures and little things jump out like that, even if you've read the same passage before. Thank you for sharing!! :)

1/20/2007 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home